Top 10 Problematic Concerns
1. Surface Grading and Drainage: Not correctly installed. This problem is the most frequent in number of occurrences. Water problems in basements are found to be mostly as a result of incorrect grading and drainage.
2. Exteriors: Problems in this area include water and air penetration through windows, doors and wall areas. Lack of frequent checking of caulking and weather stripping are the most common. Rarely bad, these problems lead to major concerns.
3. Poor Ventilation: nsufficient roof vents, blocked soffit ventilation and no air circulation in basement areas are most prevalent. Many basement areas require dehumidifiers. Low insulation levels are often found.
4. Incorrect Electrical Wiring: Undersized electrical services are the number one concern here.
5. Roof Damage: Roof leakage or shingles nearing their rated life and caulking on flashing not attended to every year are the biggest culprits.
6. Heating Systems: Dirty filters, no annual servicing, seized humidifiers, blocked chimneys and unsafe exhaust systems. This could lead to high CO levels.
7. Plumbing: Galvanized pipes and lead soddering could lead to problems, possibly needing correction.
8. Structural Related Problems: As a result of problems in other areas, spillover onto roof structure, floor joists, beams and foundations may occur, requiring serious alterations. Foundation cracking is often present but seldom of a serious nature.
9. Poor Maintenance: Exterior paint, wiring, plumbing and minor masonry repair.
10. Miscellaneous: Minor interior items, not affecting the integrity of the house.
We provide home inspection services throughout Oakland, Macomb, Lapeer, and Wayne Counties in Michigan.